Exporting Pets: Travelling or Relocating Pets to Other Countries
This information is meant for pet owners who will be exporting pets to other countries. We have tried our best to summarize pet travel regulations for several countries, as a quick reference for you. For details and specific requirements for exporting pets, please visit the official websites linked at the bottom of each page. Import regulations are quite strict, so be sure to read them thoroughly. Get started by following the tips below. You may also contact us here at Alta Vista and we can do our best to help you!
• If you are exporting pets, make sure you have plenty of time to prepare before travelling; it can take up to six months to meet all necessary requirements to export a pet.
• Different countries have different requirements regarding vaccinations, identification, international health certificates, titre tests, travel permits and quarantine. Make sure you’ve done your research.
• Ensure your pet is healthy prior to travelling or moving. A physical exam is recommended to make sure your animal is fit for travel. The process of moving can be stressful for them, and aggravate any existing medical conditions.
• Different airlines, as well as immigration, have specific requirements regarding the type of carriers allowed on airplanes and when entering foreign countries. Check with the airline as well as immigration prior to travel.
• Alta Vista Animal Hospital has vast experience preparing animals for export to countries such as the USA., the UK, Australia, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan and Mexico.